End of the Garden

Monday, January 23, 2006

How to Describe Today

I have just watched the sun set. One can do this here. One moment the sun is a huge red globe sitting on the horizon, next it has gone beneath the sea.

How to describe today? Today three soldiers were killed in the north. Today Erik Solheim arrived from Norway to attempt to restore the peace process. Today everyone feels unsettled: some are getting in supplies, others buying tickets for India - to get away from unsafety.

I arrived at Belangwila Temple and before I had managed to get out of the car Anoja was at the car door. I was with Padmini, a friend from Hounslow. Anoja told us that the Trinco members of the cast have to travel back tonight. It is uncertain what may happen. By 25th Sri Lanka may once more be at war.

The cast were in the middle of a voice class. I realised at that moment that the putting on of this play, Mother Courage, is as important to record as the finished performance. I hadn't brought my camcorder with me, so I went back to the hotel to get it. We may not see these Trinco lads again. I hope we do, but so much depends on the next few days.

Travelling back through the traffic allowed me time to reflect and re-jig my rehearsal plan. I was going to spend tomorrow telling the cast about Brecht, the play, its historical significance and the acting methods. When I returned to the temple, I moved Tuesday plan to today, Monday. I want these young men to know why Abhina is putting this play on - a story of the futility of war, that the human race never learns from history. Never has talking about a piece of work ever felt so significant or live. At one point when talking about the effect of World War 1 in Europe, of the way populations get tossed around by events beyond their control, Anoja just broke down and wept her heart out. There were a lot of tears today. And also a lot of laughter.

I carried on the work in the afternoon, reaching for ways to help our inexperienced cast to understand the skill, courage and abandonment required to be in that reality of doing, to be an actor. Later, after tea, I showed them a scene on DVD from Howard's End; the scene where Margaret (Emma Thompson) learns of her husband-to-be's ten year ago affair with Mrs Bast. This Belangwila cast have never seen really skilled emotionally connected acting in their lives before. They were riveted, even though most of them could not understand the language. The discussion afterwards enabled them to glimpse at the skills of those actors, they make it look so easy and we all think we can do it.

After this, Visaka led a circle: a circle of farewell to one lad whose parents are sending him to Canada, it is too unsafe for him here. He cried openly at leaving this creative and connected group. The others promised to keep themselves safe. They all want to get back here as soon as they can. Let us pray for their safety and their continued participation in our project.

I had spent all Sunday morning making a schedule for the rehearsals. Anoja and I spent all Sunday afternoon casting the play. As I got out of the car this morning at Belangwila and heard the news I mentally tore up all those plans. Take each day as it comes. This is the only way any of us can live now.

Think of those boys travelling back on the train tonight. May they be safe. May Erik Solheim's peace process be successful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home